Monday, January 14, 2013

Cafe Gratitude - Venice, California

Address: 512 Rose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90291

Items Ordered:
  •  I AM IMMORTAL - tonifying elixir w/ Reishi, Shilajit and Ormus. Served hot with coconut milk and raw honey 
  • I AM HAPPY - Mediterranean wrap with live falafels, zucchini cilantro hummus, spinach, red onion, tomato, cucumber, red chili pepper sauce and garlic tahini dressing on live sun-dried tomato bread
  • I AM LIBERATED - Creamy hemp seed pesto pasta with kelp noodles, heirloom cherry tomatoes, green and kalamata olives and  spinach topped with brazil nut parmesan and fresh basil 
  • Dessert (forgot the name) - warm peach and berry compote with vegan ice cream

Happy New Year everyone! I really do hope your wishes become a reality in 2013. What are your food-related resolutions for this year? Mine is to stop eating chocolate for 6 months! It's quite sad, but makes my dessert options at restaurants easier to choose. I'll give you guys an update in June on my progress (if I don't break before then).

What better way to start the new year than spouting some uplifting phrases and eating some vegan food? I was very amused with the names of the dishes at Cafe Gratitude, and almost wanted to order everything off the menu just so I could say "I am magical and awesome." But I suppose all that food would defeat the purpose of healthy eating. We started with the I AM IMMORTAL drink, which if I were to sum up with one word, would be...terrible. Please try something else instead. The drink tasted like water with a weird herby taste, and I'm not sure made us immortal. I liked my I AM HAPPY, but realized quickly that vegan bread/wraps are a little too dry =/. The I AM LIBERATED was pretty tasty and well-dressed with their pesto. Kelp pasta kinda looks and tastes like vermicelli in case you were wondering. I really loved the vegan ice cream (made with nuts?) that came with the dessert, but again the compote and fruits were a little dry and overcooked. I know this review doesn't sound that positive, but I liked the concept of Cafe Gratitude and would probably return to try out some of their cooked vegan dishes next time.

--y

No comments:

Post a Comment